Posted 2 June 2016
When considering the option of subdividing your land and building a new estate, it is important to think about whether you want to just create the vacant blocks of land for sale or if you want to go that little bit further and create house and land packages.
Obviously there are pro's and con's for both, but whatever you decide, you want to ensure you have a good understanding of how people want to live these days, as this knowledge will impact your decision on block size and dwelling type, should you choose to build on the land.
In 2013 the Department of Planning for Western Australia conducted a study into how people want to live, aptly named "The Housing We'd Choose", the report uncovered what is really important to buyers when choosing housing.
Gone are the days of the Great Australian Dream with the quarter acre block, and as this study showed, people have adjusted their expectations as to what they can afford, in what location and what size dwelling they would be happy with.
Highlights of the report included:
- 26% of respondents would consider alternative building materials to double brick.
- 3 bedrooms is the sweet spot! 44% of people preferred a 3 bedroom home, and 44% of those who chose a 4 bedroom home were willing to compromise.
- 79% of people initially preferred to live in a separate house, which dropped to 56% when constrained by location and affordability factors.
- Easy access to work was a high priority, but that does not necessarily mean it has to be within close proximity.
- The importance of public transport varied with income, with people on lower incomes rating it as a higher priority.
So make sure you educate yourself as to what will be most appealing to buyers once you have developed your land and created your brand new estate. Our team of experts will help you every step of the way, so if you are keen to get started, give us a call on (08) 9303 9462.